This movement is so hooked into promoting unity, anti negativity & positive confessions – basically anything you dare speak with your mouth you will reap in reality…
unpack this a bit & we begin to realise several things are going on here — I will try & summarise my thoughts on this but I would really love everyone to contribute with additional thoughts to expand & unpack this further. so here we go:
- positive confession is a concept straight out of the new age — it is other wise known as the “law of attraction” – one speaks to the universe & the universe provides the answer that you request/desire… if you think/speak negatively this provides a cosmic block – like the “cosmos”/”universe”/divine power only responds to “positives”. In charismatic teaching – positive confession is taught as “everything you speak out for good & bad you bring into your world” in the late 1980’s Derek prince wrote a book entitled “Blessings & curses” which contained some of these themes & was one of the places where this idea of “positive confession” took hold – at the time – this book was considered controversial
- implied, is the FEAR of saying anything negative at all in any context… now whilst being positive in outlook is all good & healthy- if there is fear in the mix here people are literally scared into agreement & compliance…. they dare not be honest enough to disagree on anything in the church & in their behaviour- they dare not share their honest opinion even after praying & seeking the word for fear of not being “in the flow of the river” . Of course we should not be saying negatives about others for the sake of it – but properly & appropriately delivered , truthful & honest “negatives” help others to grow. Many dare not say anything negative about their situation – lest it come to pass by the power of their “negative talk” of course this denies the sovereign will of God in a life that should be submitted to him. Once we believe that, we have entered into SUPERSTITION…
Hebrews 11 v 1- 3 (KJV)
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
This is one of the basic scriptures that the premise that Positive Confession is built on.. It goes something like: Words have power, God spoke words & it brought the world into existence… Words have power for good & bad effect… we too also have Power in our words to create & destroy… this is qualified by the scripture: Proverbs 18 v 21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. (KJV) however charismatic teachings go further than suggesting that the power to destroy or build up individuals through use of empowering or crushing language on an interpersonal level… the teachings in this movement that I have sat under suggests that our spoken words have an equal amount of power as God’s spoken words.. In effect we can create & change atmospheres & situations just by speaking out or DECLARING things… because our words are that powerful… the trouble with this teaching though is that it puts man on an equal par with GOD – so in effect – we become “little Gods” – if you research out latter rain theology, you will see that this exactly where this whole movement is coming from & going too (check out our River & Odd Theology pages. )
Faith of course is not a “force” or a spiritual energy we can throw around in anticipation of evidential results… the Hebrews passage above tells us it is a substance of things hoped for (& in the context of the Hebrews this is all about the promised Messiah & nothing to do with practical need & desires) & an acceptance of understanding of that which we do not really (intellectually) grasp – like the formation of the world – these things are too big for our human heads to get around –
So we see when this has been twisted, the focus of course is all about ME & not about Jesus – the one who the Holy spirit glorifies
- Fear of perceived negativity is displaced & misplaced because in this movement agreement & unity has to be protected no matter the cost to the individual… if they disagree- largely they are considered to be in the wrong & are pushed in emotionally & spiritually abusive ways to change their thoughts & to realign or align themselves with – whatever their leaders inform them is the correct position to take on certain issues… but what seems to happen here is that people tend to stop being Holy spirit led & are now being “church leader “- Man led
- The fear of negativity is so strong & so strongly discouraged & avoided that people are being told (directly & indirectly) that normal healthy biblical discernment is not required… many times we hear of people who bring correction to the camp or a word of rebuke or even concern to an individual perfectly appropriately & yet are told (even if it is a word of scripture – in season, in context & perfectly relevant to the circumstances) that it is too negative, or it needs to be weighed, or it’s not to be brought & yet every word of personal revelation & prophecy is acceptable & accepted on the spot if it strokes the ego, massages the self worth & tickles the itching ears & of course agrees with the emphasis of the teaching as a reinforcer….
- The fear of negativity is often leading to leaders now telling their people that material (such as found on this website) breeds negativity & why??? because clearly it is not in agreement with “the flow” & not to listen to certain people (myself included – who have come out of this & are now telling it like it is) however, each of us is free to surf any website we choose, & talk to whoever we like & make up our own minds in weight of what we feel God is telling us through the scriptures… – yes thats right — we are FREE to choose & we are even FREE to choose sinful things — Im not advocating that BTW I’m just pointing out that our relationship of reverence to Jesus, our worship of him in spirit & truth forms in us an inner conviction of what is right & wrong for us as Christian people to be doing… within the principles & framework & commands of scripture. This process should NEVER be generated by FEAR of rebuke by a church leadership team – we have to develop self control (in response to the Holy spirit. Galatians 5 v 22) & come away from LEADER CONTROL — see what Im getting at? some are more worried about what the leaders think- others think, than they are about what GOD thinks… The thing is we are more discerning when we buy a tin of soup some of us- we scan the ingredients list & make an informed choice –
Proverbs 16 v 5-6 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished. By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil. (KJV)
- why should it be that some leaders put on their people – sheer guilt for testing things out, researching, weighing up everything in the balance of the scriptures? so that we may all get to the truth – the Body is ultimately edified or built up stronger if this happens & furthermore, the scriptures instruct us to do it: 1 john 4v1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. I’m seeing here something that the word of God encourages us to do, wholeheartedly in order to stand on truth & protect ourselves from deception… is being DISCOURAGED by those in leadership who “think” its a Negative activity- let me say that this is how twisted up we have become & if the Word of God endorses it IT IS NOT NEGATIVE!
all of this together has opened a door to an insincerity & pretense in my opinion & observation… in effect the leader who is dominating their own presence of demanding alignment, agreements & positive confessions & rejection of negatives in any context of any teaching he/she is giving/copying/role modelling/ expecting or endorsing. This person has placed themself between the people & the Holy Spirit… in short he has placed him self upon a throne… what we need to do is recognise it for what it is & absolutely ensure that in our own lives the only one sitting on that throne is Jesus – King of kings & Lord of Lords
please please think about this… it is super important…