The true church is:
- preaching & teaching the Gospel of Christ crucified.. encouraging people to make a response based on their realisation of their sin & Christ’s amazing saving grace… Gospel truth of the cross is a central reference point. It is referred to often as a central theme in teachings & activities..
- gathering around a risen saviour – Jesus more than it is programmes- innovative ideology, social tea & cakes, signs& wonders, social action or anything else…
- teaching FROM the bible – the word of God… rather than teaching “ideas” that are then justified by the utilising of particular scriptural texts
- expecting & encouraging & helping its people to live in a Christ like way- demonstrating the infilling of the Holy Spirit evident in the increasing characteristics found in Galatians 5 – the fruit of the spirit
- NOT a business.. the church is not here to market a brand, (itself) resources or products as a way get closer to God, know his thoughts or interpret the scriptures or to make money to perpetuate itself
- NOT an organisation or movement that promotes the idea that “Leadership” is a goal to be attained – status, power & position mean nothing in terms of rightstanding before God.
- Is NOT concerned with numbers, statistics or bums on seats.. true hearts before God are loved, encouraged & validated.. true discipleship is to this end
- understanding that people come to Christ through repentance as an individual… & that the gathering together is a gathering of individuals each an equal member of the whole body of believers
- NOT concerned with charity status in order to get tax deductions from the state as a way of ensuring extra income to benefit itself
- Has NO superstars, NO Divas – NO ranking & No pedastals to put them on
- Understands that it can build nothing- because Jesus said that HE would build HIS church where the gates of hell will not be able to prevail against it.. Matthew 16 v 18 & that the Kingdom of God is being received.. – poured out – Hebrews 12v 28
- Doesn’t make special exceptions for sinful actions of its prominent people & leaders – infact recognises that church discipline should be more thorough for people with responsibilities for others.
- considers the word of God as the final authority- does not go beyond its bounds & is happy to receive biblical correction when the challenge comes from anyone within the church who duly searches the scriptures for the (balance) of truth..
- does not use fancy methods to draw people to itself but promotes Christ crucified & is more concerned with the worship of Jesus in spirit & truth than it is with making “seekers” feel comfortable..
- making available the ordinances of Baptism & Holy Communion to believers – regularly…
Im sure there are more… please add on your thoughts..